HOW DO I LOVE THEE? by Elizabeth Browning (RESPONSE)



Image result for how do i love thee elizabeth barrett browning
[image source: http://englishatoz24.blogspot.com/2019/04/how-do-i-love-thee-eb-browning.html]




Description
           Elizabeth Barrett Browning was an English poet during the Romantic Movement. She published her collection 'An Essay on Mind and Other Poems' in 1826. Elizabeth and her husband Robert Browning, exchanged 574 letters after Elizabeth gained the attention of Robert after writing poems. Political and Sonnet schemes were the themes that Elizabeth took in in her later works.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning
[image source: https://poets.org/poet/elizabeth-barrett-browning]

          'How Do I Love Thee?' is a sonnet written by Elizabeth. It is a message to her beloved husband Robert Browning. I made my response through thinking how would Robert feel or respond to this message. I had made my response by also thinking what would I feel if someone would give me a message expressing their love for me.


Response

   I know you do. No need to count the ways.

   I embrace the deepest range and the height

   Your soul can reach, when feeling out of sight.

   For the extent of your being and grace.

   I grasp the rank of your every day's

   Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.

   I grasp your real love, as we strive for right.

   I grasp your pure love, as we turn from praise.

   I embrace the passion you put to use

   In your old griefs, and with your childhood's faith.

   I grasp your great love that seemed to be strong

   With your lost saints. I embrace with all

   Smiles, tears, of all your life; and if God choose,

   I shall but love you best after cold death.

Comments