Frontliner: The Modern Day Hero

    Frontliners are what we call "The Modern Day Heroes". Doctors, policemen, soldiers, supermarket staff, and more are considered to be one. They are here to save the world from the deadly COVID-19. They work 24 hours covered in their PPEs and sweat. I took this project as an opportunity to show my gratitude to our modern-day heroes.


    PROCESS OF MAKING:






    I made a rough sketch of my subject, a doctor. I chose him to be my subject because he is one of the first people to tend to us when our health requires help. Next, I traced it onto another sheet of paper, which where I'll put my final output. 

    I traced the outline and also added the details, like the eyes and brows. Next, I used a ruler to draw different lines in which it makes different shapes for me to color in.

    I used a watercolor set to bring life or color to my sketch. But before I started painting, I made sure to put on masking tapes to the side for a little margin. Next, I also put a piece of masking tape to the sides of the shape I am going to color in. But on my first try, the sides became wet due to the amount of water I put, so I decided to not use it. 

    I used three different shades of blue for the surgical cap and mask. In the middle of making, I realized normal bond paper did not work so well with watercolor, so I decided to work on Oslo Paper. I did not show in the clips as the process is still the same.

    The third clip shows that I already colored the doctor's coat and his inner uniform. For his coat, I used white and yellow while the inner uniform, I used two shades of green. Next, I used a black fine point pen to outline the sketch. 

   I pasted strips of masking tape and pasted them to the lines drawn earlier. Next, I painted the inside of those polygons white color then, when dried, took off the tape. Next, to outline those shapes, I used a pencil to make faint outlines. This is to create emphasis on the background. Then, for the last step, I took off the tapes on the margins to finish the output.


RESULTS:


          The movement I used for this work is CUBISM. A cubism art movement is works that include geometric shapes and interlocking planes. That is why I made random lines and painted them in different shades so that the colors would emphasize CUBISM. Even the background, I emphasized the white shapes using a faint outline to show different polygons.

        I chose a frontliner as a subject to show my greatest gratitude to them. I wanted to say 'Thank You' for their hard work and never-ending strength. They are, indeed, our modern-day heroes.


Comments